The Unsinkable Molly Brown… I loved her in the Titanic movie. From the Molly Brown House Museum:
Margaret, though sore, tired and cold, began to take action. Her knowledge of foreign languages enabled her to console survivors who spoke little English. She also rifled through the ship to find extra blankets and supplies to distribute to women who were sleeping in the dining room and corridors. Margaret realized that many women had lost everything- husbands, children, clothes, money and valuables- and needed to start a life in a new country. She rallied the first class passengers to donate money to help less fortunate passengers. Before the Carpathia reached New York $10,000 had been raised. (source: http://www.mollybrown.org/learn/about-molly-brown/)
Molly is an inspiration for me and I wanted to represent her in my wearable art. For this project, you will need:
- Mod Podge
- Plastic facet pendants
- Jump rings
- Cord (for necklace)
- Assorted scrapbook paper
- Paper decals
- Printed photos from your computer
Assemble your photo, decals, and other cuttings and glue them on scrapbook paper which serves as your background. For added effect you may submerge the computer printed photos in water to smudge, and blur the image. Select which portion of your art will go onto the facet by laying the gem down onto the paper. Once you have selected the composition, trace around the gem and cut out the gem shape. Place a few drops of glue onto the gem and press the paper face down on it. Be sure to “poke” a hole in the paper so the jump ring can be used, then coat the back of the gem with Mod Podge; I used a piece of scrap paper to smooth the glue out. Allow to dry, add additional baubles, and a cord.
It’s been a fun adventure today with Molly and I look forward to taking her reminder with me.
- Chrysanthemum Fimo Necklace My coworkers have encouraged me to explore jewelry making, so...
- Enchanted Bangle This week I decided to try out the popsicle bracelet...
- Magazine Paper Roses YAY! The paper rose wreath is ready and I have...
- Bathroom Magazine and Paper Holder I love bathroom accessories, but won’t pay $19.99 to $30.00...
- Mail Drop: Recycled Potato Box This idea was inspired from an article I read which...